1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and set aside.
3. Beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined.
4. Beat in egg and almond extract.
5. Slowly add flour mixture in parts and beat until combined.
6. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Form each portion into a 12 inch roll.
7. Place 2 rolls 4-5 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten each roll until it is 3 inches wide.
8. Brush rolls with milk and and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Bake until edges are slightly browned. While still warm, cut diagonally into 1 inch wide pieces.