This traditional pudding never fails to please, you can replace the sherry and brandy with orange or pineapple juice
1. Put the sponge cake and almond macaroons in a glass serving dish, the sprinkle over the sherry and brandy and leave until they have been absorbed.
2. To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together. Bring the cream to the boil in a large pan then pour onto the egg yolk mixture stirring constantly.
3. Return the mixture to the pan and heat very gently, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, do not allow to boil! Stir in the vanilla extract and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
4. Put the fruit in an even layer over the sponge cake and macaroons in the serving dish, strain the custard over the fruit and leave to set.
5. Lightly whip the whipping cream and spread evenly over the custard, chill the trifle well. Decorate with flaked almonds and strawberries just before serving.