It all started when I decided to enter a 4th of July pie contest, but had no idea what to enter! Going out on a limb, I decided to turn my favorite summer dessert into a pie and the "Certified Southern Banana Pudding Pie" was born!
- Crust -
1. Combine all crust ingredients and knead until they become a dough.
2. Divide dough into two equal parts and chill for about 15 minutes.
3. On a surface dusted with powdered sugar, roll out the dough, turning it a quarter turn every
so often to ensure it remains round.
4. Transfer to a lightly greased pie dish and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes
5. Cool for at least 10 minutes
- Filling -
1. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan. Add milk and place on
medium-high heat, stirring often, until it is thick and bubbling, about 15 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir for two minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a separate bowl, combine a small portion of the filling mixture with the eggs and mix
until they are blended together. Then pour the egg and filling mixture back into the saucepan
with the rest of the filling and return it to heat at medium-high again, stirring constantly until
the mixture begins to bubble.
4. Once it begins bubbling, continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes, then remove it from heat.
5. Add in the butter and vanilla, mixing well, then transfer the filling to a small glass bowl and
cover it with plastic wrap, making sure that the plastic comes into contact with the surface of
the filling, as this will prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. While you are
waiting for the filling to set, cut the bananas into evenly-sized slices and then go ahead and
start on the topping. (steps 1 & 2)
6. Once the filling is set place half of the mixture in the bottom of the crust and spread evenly.
Place the banana slices on top to form a layer, then cover them with the other half of the
filling mixture. Continue on with the topping.
- Topping -
1. Crush the vanilla wafers into fine/semi-coarse crumbs and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract and whip with
an electric mixer on high until it is thickened into the desired consistency. Set aside or fill a
pastry bag with a star icing tip with the whipped cream.
3. Once all of the filling is in the crust, spread a generous amount of crushed vanilla wafers on
the top of the filling.
4. Spread the whipped cream over the top OR if using a pastry bag and tip, decorate as you so
Refrigerate overnight for best results.