This ones for the party kids in us.This takes so long to decorate that's why I just use cake mix instead of from scratch. Yield: 30-40 servings.
1. Line two 13x9-in. baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper. Prepare cake batter; pour into prepared pans. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; remove waxed paper.
2. Level tops of cakes; place side by side on a covered board. Frost top and sides of cake with vanilla frosting; mist with food color spray if desired.
3. With Candy Land game board as your guide, form a path using Starburst candies. With vanilla frosting, pipe "Happy Birthday" on candies. With chocolate frosting, make an arrow; pipe "Start" on the arrow with vanilla frosting.
4. For the Mountain/Gumdrop pass, use a red Fruit Roll-Up, red coarse sugar and Dots.
5. For forests, add peanut butter cups topped with piped chocolate frosting, chocolate jimmies, gumdrops, Dum Dum Pops, candy canes and rock candy.
6. For castle, pipe vanilla frosting into ice cream cones. Garnish with Dots and sprinkles.
7. Between the pathways, add green colored sugar, sprinkles, miniature marshmallows, peppermints and conversation hearts. Pipe additional frosting to fill in spaces; top with sprinkles.
8. Pipe vanilla frosting around base of cake; place peppermints around top edge of cake.
Editor's Note: This cake is best eaten the day it's prepared. Do not refrigerate.